Recovering addicts is something that has been existing since the early 1930s, even before the treatments that exist today were introduced; the power of faith had helped them recover from their addictions. The faith based recovery program has been made keeping in mind different faiths and the spiritual teachings to help the individuals recover using faith. In these faith based recovery programs the spiritual practices are combined with therapeutic practices which are based on evidence in order to bring changes in all aspects including social, spiritual, psychological and biological.
People who want to deal with substance abuse and addiction issues should know that it takes a lot of determination, grit and hard work, and this determination is what marks the beginning from a life of addiction to that of health. Even though it can get overwhelming and tough, you can surely seek support. This support can be given and provided to you by faith based recovery program. These can really help you to deal with the entire issue and reach a good conclusion.
Benefits of Faith Based Recovery Program
- Living arrangements – the addiction recovery specialists make sure that a sober living facility is provided for the people who are recovering from addiction. These programs provide a place where they can heal and they are provided with a safe environment with a proper support system. Faith based recovery program also provide guidance to how to have a sober living.
- Connect with faith – the faith based recovery program is designed to help you connect better with your faith and with this connection it helps you overcome the addiction. It helps develop a stronger relationship with the faith that an individual believes in.
- Chances of relapse are less – it is possible that after the treatment an individual can have a relapse but with the help of these programs, the chances of having a relapse are reduced to a great extent.
- Spiritual leaders as mentors – as an individual tries to bridge the gap between addiction and recovery, it becomes an important period of their journey. This is the period where they learn control of thoughts and actions and emotions. At this point of time, the guidance of a spiritual leader who shares the same belief as the individual. This helps in keeping the faith and determination strong.
- Constant Support – in a faith based recovery program, the individuals are made to communicate with a community of the same faith as the individual. This helps the individual stay in control and is constantly reminded of the power and love of God.
All these are some of the benefits of a faith based recovery program. This has proven to be very effective as it works on the following principles –
- New mindset
- Kindness towards oneself and others
- Self love
- Self awareness
- Self control
- Courage to heal oneself
- Inner peace
- Selflessness and mindfulness
- Connecting with a higher power